GST on renting of hotel rooms
watch_later 1 year, 1 month ago
How much tax charged on renting of hotel room? Whether input credit of tax is available to hotels and lodges?
Tax on renting of rooms by a hotel or lodge or guest house etc. is charged under 3 categories.
- Rooms with tariff or room charges between Rs. 1000 to Rs. less than 2500 are taxed at 12% and full Input Tax Credit (ITC) is available.
- Rooms with tariff or room charge between Rs. 2500 and less than Rs. 7500 are taxed at 18% with full ITC.
- Hotel room with room tariff or charge more than 7500 per day is taxed at 28% with full ITC.
Renting of hotels, inns, guest houses, clubs, campsites or other commercial places meant for residential or lodging purposes having room tariff Rs.1000 and above but less than Rs.2500 per room per day - 12% with full ITC.
Renting of hotels, inns, guest houses, clubs, campsites or other commercial places meant for residential or lodging purposes where room tariff of Rs 2500/ and above but less than Rs 7500/- per room per day - 18% with full ITC
Accommodation in hotels including 5 star and above rated hotels, inns, guest houses, clubs, campsites or other commercial places meant for residential or lodging purposes, where room rent is Rs 7500/- and above per night per room - 28% with full ITC.
Hotel rooms below Rs. 1000 per room per day are exempted from tax? - Rahul Rai
Services by a hotel, inn, guest house, club or campsite, by whatever name called, for residential or lodging purposes, having declared tariff of a unit of accommodation less than one thousand rupees per day or equivalent are exempted from payment of tax. - Pulkit Sharma
Hotel room with room rent below 1000 are exempted from tax. A big relief for small hotel owners. - GST Payer
But I have a serious concern - I have a special case of a hostel chain In Bangalore. They have more than 11 hostels in Bangalore with more than 2000 students. Before GST, they use to charge 13.5k Lum-sum per month per student (+50k security) but after GST, they have declared 9000 as accommodation per student and 4.5k on Mess charges per month per student. Currently, they have started charging 12% GST(approx. INR 550 extra) on food but no GST on accommodation charges, They are not paying any GST on accommodation. Is it fair that a person with more than 2cr accommodation revenue has been exempted from Tax? (Few facts - 2 students are staying in one room, the hostel company is a sole proprietorship, accommodation cost to the owner for one complete room with 2 students is 8k(so accommodation profitability per room is 10k after deducting this cost). Can somebody help me whether this person will be exempted from accommodation tax)?
what is the answer of above question - GVK RAJU
You need to ask a separate question. - GST Payer
The person is going to be exempt from the tax even if he is charged GST. Let me explain, like in the case with food where in they've started charging 550 extra as GST, the same will happen with accommodation. If the proprietor is charged additional GST, the same will be forwarded to the students and the burden will be on the students and not the Proprietor. - Dilip Rathi
You need to be logged in to answer.
- refund of itc on pre-export sales
- GST on penalty
- GSTIN by Name
- conversion from composition to general
- Plywood ka g s t kaise nikalte hai
- SEARCH GST NO. WITH PAN
- Gst practitioner exam
- We are getting responses for just 2 requests in 15 minutes
- Agriculture bore repair
- GST Eway bill Compile error in Hidden module sheet 3 and date format error solved
- API for getting GSTIN Details, Validate GST number
- GSP and ASP model of GSTN is injustice with startups and small businesses
- GST helpline customer care and contact number
- E-way bill in case of Bill to Ship to transactions
- Basic E-way rules and FAQ
- What is GST?
- GST Suvidha Kendra
- Documents required for GST registration
- Frauds possible under GST?
BUY DSC FOR MCA, IT AND GST
Experience KnowyourGST services. Apply for DSC and get it on same day. We promise fastest delivery of your DSC.
Whatsapp - 73386 33003
Telegram - @knowyourgst
Contact us on Whatsapp and Telegram number 7338633003 for quick reply.