Late fee on delay in GST return filing
If you missed to file your GST returns on time, you will have to pay late filing fee. Government started charging late filing fee from August 2017 itself.
In this post I will share with you a calculator to estimate the late filing fee you have to pay, if you miss to file your GST returns on time.
How much late filing fee will charged on different returns?
As per section 47 of CGST Act, 2017 late filing fee will be charged as below:
|Returns to be filed||Fee applicable|
|GSTR -1 for outward supplies||50 per day, max upto 5,000|
|GSTR -2 for inward supplies||50 per day, max upto 5,000|
|GSTR-3/GSTR-3B monthly return||50 per day, max upto 5,000|
|GSTR-4 Quarterly return under composition scheme||50 per day, max upto 5,000|
|Final Return||50 per day, max upto 5,000|
|Annual Return||50 per day, max upto .25% of turnover|
How is GST late filing fee calculated?
GST late filing is calculated using the formula "(Days delayed x 50)" for each head of tax.
If you have delayed for 3 days, the late filing fee will 3X50 = 75 for CGST and 75 for SGST.
Further, it should be noted that fee is applicable even if you are filing Nil returns. Filing return is compulsory under GST law. Once you have registered under GST, you have to file returns.
Concerns over GST Late filing fee
It can be understood that late filing fee is charged so that tax payers file returns on time without any delay.
The whole GST regime depends on IT infrastructure and timely and accurate information filed by tax payers, a delay can cause hardship to another tax payer.
However tax payers have following concerns which government should address:
- Late filing fee is more than amount of tax payable.
- Late filing fee is charged even for Nil returns.
- Late filing fee should be waived for the period or days on which GST portal face problems.
How to pay Late filing fee on GST portal?
Paying GST late filing fee is easy.
The process to pay late filing fee is similar to payment of tax.
- Click Service
- Click on Challans
- Click on Create Challan
A normal form will open, you are already familiar with this form as it is the same form used to pay your CGST and SGST tax.
In this form fill the amount of fee under FEE column of respective tax head.
Note: Do not fill complete fee amount in a single column, fill in different tax heads such as SGST and CGST.
The above late filing fee is only for CGST, you have to add equivalent amount in SGST also.
Yes SGST late filing fee has to be added separately. One more thing to note is that date of submission and date of filing are different dates, system gets locked once data is submitted. So, the fee may be calculated till the date of submission and fee upto date of filing may be charged in next return filing date.
Late fee has changed. This calculator needs to be updated and will be done shortly.
Late fee calculator is updated now with latest changes in fee Rs. 50 per day. 25 for SGST and 25 for CGST.
You need to be logged in to comment.
- GST Returns Sahaj and Sugam
- Place of Supply of goods under GST
- GST Eway bill Compile error in Hidden module sheet 3 and date format error solved
- API for getting GSTIN Details, Validate GST number
- GSP and ASP model of GSTN is injustice with startups and small businesses
- GST helpline customer care and contact number
- E-way bill in case of Bill to Ship to transactions
- Basic E-way rules and FAQ
- What is GST?
- GST Suvidha Kendra
- Excel report for bulk GSTIN Verification
- Gst practitioner exam detailes
- tax reverse
- Sec 44 of Negotiable instruments act - Partial absence or failure of money consideration
- Negotiable instruments Act SEc 43 instruments made with out consideration
- GST Audit
- Tds deduction when seller in dubai
- Query Relating to Composite Bill
- Refund on Inverted Tax system